Saturday, February 26, 2005

One thing that I am really enjoying about Sweeney is the pre-show. We all mill around the theatre and mingle with the audience and each other, in character. It's fun to see the little improvisations that have developed and now seem to be carrying over from one night to the next. There's a certain character that happens to be an orange seller who is making quite a nice little living for herself! I am a policeman in the pre-show and one of the characters continually tries to get me to look for her lost cat. Others urge me to arrest the Orange Lady. One guy steels the oranges and I then proceed to chase him around the theatre making the eventual arrest. We have a tailor, a ratcatcher, a baker, a gypsey and others. It's a lot of fun and the audience really seems to enjoy the atmosphere it creates.

No comments:

Post a Comment